One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of four isomeric alcohols used as solvents and in organic synthesis.
- ‘The latter symptoms, often described as a ‘drunk’ feeling, possibly resulted from tertiary butyl alcohol - a major metabolic product of MTBE in humans.’
- ‘Hearing loss has been reported in workers chronically exposed to butyl alcohol.’
- ‘Tissue dehydration was accomplished by submerging samples in a series of ethanol: tertiary butyl alcohol, and embedding them in small blocks of solid paraffin.’
- ‘This invention relates to a method for separating tetrachloroethylene from the butyl alcohols using certain organic compounds as the agent in extractive distillation.’
- ‘Generally, methyl alcohol is the most corrosive and butyl alcohol is least corrosive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.