One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tree root whose upper, exposed parts project from the trunk like a buttress.
- ‘When I find Matt, he's standing beside a buttress root taller than he is.’
- ‘Instead, rain forest trees are often supported by thick buttress roots.’
- ‘An hour later, they were deep in the rain forest of Corcovado National Park, hiking along a trail flanked by giant ferns and shaded by 70-metre-tall trees anchored to the thin soil with buttress roots.’
- ‘There are endemic white-flowering begonias which reach several metres tall, trees with buttress roots the size of a small house and countless stands of bamboo towering over the path like crashing tsunami.’
- ‘Country Energy wants to put underground cables along the street and the buttress roots would be severely damaged.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.