One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A young unopened mushroom.
- ‘The delicately fried garlic mushrooms - button mushrooms done in garlic, olive oil and fresh parsley with a hint of salt - remind us of the power of a simple, well-executed dish.’
- ‘Anastagio picked up a button mushroom and threw it at his son, hitting him on the nose, smiling even as he did it despite the fact that the gesture was a warning.’
- ‘Steaks tended to be accompanied by three button mushrooms.’
- ‘I had button mushrooms, shitake, chanterelle, brown mushrooms and probably others that I don't even know.’
- ‘Packed full of button mushrooms and cooked in a mushroom stock, it was a generous size, soft and not over-cooked.’
- ‘Despite verging on the vegetarian these days, I could not resist the lure of good old-fashioned red meat and chose an 8oz fillet steak served with French-fried onions, button mushrooms and tomato.’
- ‘If using oyster or button mushrooms, add them during the last 6 to 8 minutes.’
- ‘This risotto can be made with any funghi - even little white button mushrooms are good cooked in this way.’
- ‘The rice, which was full of button mushrooms and also appeared to have been cooked in a mushroom stock, was richer than the egg pilau but of the same quality.’
- ‘In Bombay, even something as innocuous as button mushrooms were impossibly exotic at that time.’
- ‘Not that there's anything wrong with the basic button mushroom.’
- ‘Shiitakes have a more intense flavor than the standard button mushrooms, which makes them go a little farther.’
- ‘The cap is yellow or amber and shaped like that of a cultivated button mushroom.’
- ‘A side of sautéed button mushroom slices had lots of salt and zero personality.’
- ‘They're no worse than those button mushrooms, and oysters are high in zinc.’
- ‘Japanese food has its share with Shitake Mikozume, made with button mushrooms stuffed with spinach and tofu, and deep fried.’
- ‘I opted for pasta carbonara - ham, miniature button mushrooms and chopped parsley.’
- ‘I've used a mixture of dried and fresh wild mushrooms, but you can use any sort, even button mushrooms, which don't really have much flavour, only texture.’
- ‘We began with a peppery cream of mushroom soup - very creamy and very full of succulent button mushrooms.’
- ‘The most commonly grown mushrooms are the button mushrooms and the first crop may be ready in about nine weeks if temperatures are within the required limits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.