Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A young unopened mushroom.
- ‘The delicately fried garlic mushrooms - button mushrooms done in garlic, olive oil and fresh parsley with a hint of salt - remind us of the power of a simple, well-executed dish.’
- ‘We began with a peppery cream of mushroom soup - very creamy and very full of succulent button mushrooms.’
- ‘This risotto can be made with any funghi - even little white button mushrooms are good cooked in this way.’
- ‘A side of sautéed button mushroom slices had lots of salt and zero personality.’
- ‘The most commonly grown mushrooms are the button mushrooms and the first crop may be ready in about nine weeks if temperatures are within the required limits.’
- ‘Japanese food has its share with Shitake Mikozume, made with button mushrooms stuffed with spinach and tofu, and deep fried.’
- ‘If using oyster or button mushrooms, add them during the last 6 to 8 minutes.’
- ‘Despite verging on the vegetarian these days, I could not resist the lure of good old-fashioned red meat and chose an 8oz fillet steak served with French-fried onions, button mushrooms and tomato.’
- ‘Shiitakes have a more intense flavor than the standard button mushrooms, which makes them go a little farther.’
- ‘I had button mushrooms, shitake, chanterelle, brown mushrooms and probably others that I don't even know.’
- ‘Packed full of button mushrooms and cooked in a mushroom stock, it was a generous size, soft and not over-cooked.’
- ‘Anastagio picked up a button mushroom and threw it at his son, hitting him on the nose, smiling even as he did it despite the fact that the gesture was a warning.’
- ‘They're no worse than those button mushrooms, and oysters are high in zinc.’
- ‘Not that there's anything wrong with the basic button mushroom.’
- ‘The cap is yellow or amber and shaped like that of a cultivated button mushroom.’
- ‘I opted for pasta carbonara - ham, miniature button mushrooms and chopped parsley.’
- ‘The rice, which was full of button mushrooms and also appeared to have been cooked in a mushroom stock, was richer than the egg pilau but of the same quality.’
- ‘I've used a mixture of dried and fresh wild mushrooms, but you can use any sort, even button mushrooms, which don't really have much flavour, only texture.’
- ‘Steaks tended to be accompanied by three button mushrooms.’
- ‘In Bombay, even something as innocuous as button mushrooms were impossibly exotic at that time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.