A popular winter squash of a variety that has a bell-shaped fruit with sweet orange-yellow flesh.
- ‘Instead, look for the charming and nutty onion squash, the cute kabocha squash and the shapely butternut squash, or its fluorescent orange French equivalent.’
- ‘This is appropriate, then, because here's a butternut squash.’
- ‘I also brought in actual vegetables: acorn squash, butternut squash, artichokes, red, green and yellow peppers, eggplant and several others with which even I wasn't familiar.’
- ‘For the butternut squash, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.’
- ‘Golden butternut squash, robust orange pumpkins, crunchy red and green apples - fall produce is downright gorgeous, not to mention delectable.’
- ‘The soup of the day was Butternut Squash and Pear Soup, a dark orange concoction heavy on the puréed butternut squash, with a lone pear wedge floating in the middle.’