One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Any of a number of brightly colored or boldly marked fish of warm waters.
- ‘A manta ray flashed, scattering a school of butterfly fish, silver and striped with dark gold, each moving like the pulse of a wing.’
- ‘A few of her endemic favorites: the saddle wrasse, the bluestripe butterfly fish, and the whitesaddle goatfish.’
- ‘Occasionally one sees butterfly fish, although they are mere visitors from the still distant Indian Ocean.’
- ‘In certain areas of the tropics where clownfish, sea anemone, and butterfly fish exist, clownfish scare off butterflyfish from their host anemone.’
- ‘The spine on the operculum is the best way to identify an angelfish and to distinguish it from similar-looking species, such as butterfly fish.’
2A West African freshwater fish with large pectoral fins used in leaping out of the water and long fin rays used as stilts.
- ‘The Pantodontidae or Butterfly fish family consists of a single species which is distributed in tropical West Africa.’
- ‘I got my first African Butterfly fish about 2 years ago and it was the nicest fish in my tank.’
- ‘The African Butterfly Fish is found in African in the waters of the West African Rainforest.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.