Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lima bean, especially one of a variety with large flat white seeds that are usually dried.
- ‘One man ordered butter beans which was difficult to prepare, but it was something his mum made him when he was a kid and I knew it would take him back to a time when it was peaceful.’
- ‘But I've realised tonight that I don't like my fave recipe - Lentil, butter bean and lime soup.’
- ‘Ramsden offers an unusual and stimulating menu constructed around good produce, with a fondness for underrated ingredients such as rabbit, swiss chard, pike, kipper and butter beans.’
- ‘We had lunch in our hotel, and they served Southern standards, butter beans, potatoes, fried chicken, hush puppies and one thing I thought was stuffing.’
- ‘To serve, set an oven-dried tomato and veal shank in the center of a plate and spoon some carrots, butter beans, and veal sauce on top.’
- ‘Keith owns and operates a pair of restaurants specializing in the food of his Jamaican homeland, such as jerk chicken and oxtail, cooked with butter beans.’
- ‘We also had home made fish cakes, butter beans and dried peas steeped in water.’
- ‘These include the motchai murugakkai masala, a combination of butter beans and drumsticks.’
- ‘Even 8-year-old Sasha Krumm, who rode his bike to the garden nearly every day, although his pumpkin never got much bigger than a butter bean.’
- ‘When mature seeds are sold in the USA, they may be called snail beans, butter beans (white ones), or pea beans.’
- ‘Edamame or butter bean soybeans are varieties that are best used at the green stage, when the seeds have just plumped the pods.’
- ‘Although chick peas are classic for hummus, any canned bean will convert into a delicious purée for dipping toasted pitta, flat bread or raw vegetables; my own favourite is made from butter beans.’
- ‘An unusual menu is constructed around good produce, with a fondness for under-rated ingredients such as rabbit, Swiss chard, pike, kipper and butter bean.’
- ‘Variations on hummus can be made with beans, such as dried fava beans, butter beans or any dried white bean.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine the butter beans and water.’
- ‘Succotash is a South American dish of butter beans with sweet corn.’
- ‘Chuck in some butter beans or similar if you have them.’
- ‘It's as tiny as a butter bean and individuals appear to have been exquisitely enamelled by different artists.’
- ‘I had been unable to find butter beans, in a can or otherwise.’
- ‘Today, according to The Oxford Companion to Food, authentic paella ingredients also include fresh butter beans - but not green Italian peppers, onion, garlic, snap peas, artichoke hearts, parsley, or rosemary.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.