One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hinge attached to the abutting surfaces of a door and a door jamb.
- ‘The exception is the chest in Plate I on which the present butt hinges are replacements for the original strap hinges.’
- ‘Then the price of the screws came down and the practicality of their use improved, especially with the use of butt hinges.’
- ‘Typically butt hinges are installed in recesses cut into the door frame and the edge of the door (stile).’
- ‘It is rococo in style, but its butt hinges and the mitered joint construction of the doors point to an early nineteenth-century origin.’
- ‘For example, when selecting a hinge for a jewellery box, a small brass butt hinge is likely to be used rather than a concealed hinge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.