One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hinge attached to the abutting surfaces of a door and a door jamb.
- ‘Typically butt hinges are installed in recesses cut into the door frame and the edge of the door (stile).’
- ‘For example, when selecting a hinge for a jewellery box, a small brass butt hinge is likely to be used rather than a concealed hinge.’
- ‘The exception is the chest in Plate I on which the present butt hinges are replacements for the original strap hinges.’
- ‘It is rococo in style, but its butt hinges and the mitered joint construction of the doors point to an early nineteenth-century origin.’
- ‘Then the price of the screws came down and the practicality of their use improved, especially with the use of butt hinges.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.