Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Inadvertently call (someone) on a mobile phone in one's rear pants pocket, as a result of pressure being accidentally applied to a button or buttons on the phone.‘I have had several people butt-dial me, from former girlfriends to my brother’
- ‘"Taylor was butt dialing me at 2.30 in the morning - whatever he was doing shouldn't have happened while we were in a relationship."’
- ‘I use a case sometimes, however I have only *once* butt dialed someone.’
- ‘Finn receives a call from Rachel, who he thinks butt dialed him.’
- ‘Pocket mode will supposedly keep you from butt dialing 9-1-1, or any other number for that matter.’
- ‘One man told on himself by "butt dialing" police.’
- ‘Oh, by the way, a friend of mine was butt dialed by Phaedra and she doesn't like you, so there.’
- ‘You kept butt dialing me at the school board meeting.’
- ‘"I didn't butt dial you! I was calling you because you called me this morning."’
- ‘Probably one of the most moronic things a person could do while planning a murder would be to butt dial 911 while discussing the plan.’
- ‘Somehow, I accidentally butt dialed you AGAIN!’
An inadvertent call made on a mobile phone in one's rear pants pocket, as a result of pressure being accidentally applied to a button or buttons on the phone.‘who hasn't received a butt dial at some point and listened to their friends chatting, singing, or even talking to themselves?’
- ‘For a moment, just enough time to make me think that this was a wrong number, or even a butt dial, there was silence on the other end.’
- ‘You didn't say anything so I assumed it was another butt dial.’
- ‘Usually these "butt dials" reveal little more than muffled, innocuous chatter, broadcast from the pocket of an innocent civilian.’
- ‘I had "butt dials" and "butt texts" from them.’
- ‘This is probably a lot handier than opening the phone app, and will result in fewer butt dials.’
- ‘I saw his name pop up and thought - Butt dial?’
- ‘In the last 10 years, the near-universal adoption of cellphones and smartphones has caused the number of accidental 911 calls - also known as fat-finger dials or butt dials - to skyrocket.’
- ‘Fun fact we all learned: The 911 emergency call system gets 11,000 butt dials a day.’
- ‘Like most butt dials, the ones from Horwitz's phone are caused when it shifts in the pocket of his pants.’
- ‘Could nail calls be the new butt dials?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.