Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A calf-high or knee-high boot of cloth or leather.
- ‘Buskins of scarlet or purple were worn by the Roman generals who triumphed.’
- ‘Headdresses were extravagantly plumed helmets or crowns fusing baroque and classical styles, and the masquers were shod in tightly fitting short boots, or buskins.’
- ‘Now she was vested for the anointing; buskins, sandals and girdle put on, and over all a tabard of white sarsnet, the vestment called the colobium sindonis.’
- ‘Buskins are presumed by Strutt to have resembled "the shoes of the carpenter's wife in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales," which the poet says 'were laced high upon her legs'.’
- ‘She wears a corslet and buskins of scale-mail, which latter her robe discloses.’
- 1.1A thick-soled laced boot worn by an ancient Athenian tragic actor to gain height.
- ‘Superficially, the play follows The Tempest's plot-line and uses Philoctetes’ setting, but this isn't just Shakespeare in Greek buskins.’
- ‘The buskin was used by actors when playing tragedy, its high raised sole making the player more conspicuous’
- ‘The women's gowns were ol white silk or sott-wool, trimmed with Greek borders, with clasps, buskins, and all complete.’
- ‘Consequently I may have used evidence for the Greek buskin which belonged to the Roman cotzhurnus.’
- 1.2The style or spirit of tragic drama.
- ‘The two books under review do get rid of the buskin and aureole.’
- ‘Does the buskin fit ONeill?’
- ‘In France, tragedy was elevated on her loftiest buskin.’
Early 16th century (designating a calf-length boot): probably from Old French bouzequin, variant of brousequin, from Middle Dutch broseken, of unknown ultimate origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.