One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pit viper which is the largest venomous snake in the New World, found in Central and South America.
- ‘This incident did nothing to increase my love of the reptile, and it was simply no good them both telling me, as they constantly did, that the only snake which will make an unprovoked attack on a human being is the South American bushmaster.’
- ‘José Antonio prays for guidance and, lifting his eyes, recognizes the snake: it is a bushmaster.’
- ‘He also finds some of the rare and unique snakes in his journey, which includes eyelash viper, the fer de lance and the bushmaster.’
- ‘Ever since I was a kid names like fer-de-lance and bushmaster have been magical to me.’
- ‘Inside was a great bushmaster, the king of the venomous snakes of Northern South America.’
Early 19th century: perhaps from Dutch bosmeester, from bos ‘bush’ + meester ‘master’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.