One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A metal lining for a round hole, especially one in which an axle revolves.
- ‘In one assembly, a metal disc is mounted to rotate from a motor drive shaft in a cylinder block and in contact with calibrated sample support bushings biased to contact upper and lower surfaces of the disc.’
- ‘In use, the bushing is seated within the through hole of the fixation device at a selected angle and the fastening screw is inserted through the bore of the bushing such that its head fits in the bushing and its shaft is threaded into bone.’
- ‘‘If I was to sell metal bushings or ball bearings, it might not be so exciting,’ intones Barry.’
- ‘In this case, older is better, because newer products use application-specific pots in terms of bushing, shaft and knob dimensions.’
- ‘However, engine failures due to powderized connecting rod bushings on about 2.5% of the Vipers in Switzerland suggest different conclusions.’
- 1.1 A bearing for a revolving shaft.
- ‘The slope board features heat-treated, wear-resistant pins and bushings at all pivot points.’
- ‘Bearing play concerns have been alleviated with the much-increased bushing sizes.’
- ‘Other aluminum bearing applications are in heavy tooling, such as boring mills, presses, lathes, milling machines, and grinding mills, and as hydraulic pump bushings.’
- ‘He also notes that in the lower racing series like showroom stock, a lot of durability issues are resolved on systems like brakes, bearings and bushings.’
- ‘The bearings for lower shaft consist of solid bushings fastened into trunnion, and are provided with oil-chamber and capillary felt, making them practically self-oiling and dust-proof.’
2A sleeve that and protects an electric cable where it passes through a panel.
- ‘The upper control arms are carried over from Explorer while the lower control arms are cast aluminum and attach to the chassis with larger bushings.’
- ‘BII also supply parts for miscellaneous components, including bearings, bushings and retainers, electrical and electronic components, fasteners and hardware and hydraulics.’
- ‘For the government model they even make the grip screws and the bushings to hold them.’
- ‘Between the hangar and the baseplate are two bushings (sometimes called grommets).’
- ‘So the stress from the trailer goes just to the rear axle and the bolts and rubber bushings that connect the axle to sheet metal floor instead of a frame.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.