One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fire in scrub or a forest, especially one that spreads rapidly.
- ‘Something weird happened yesterday - we went out to the nearby small town of Warragul and passed a bush fire on the way.’
- ‘With gossip raging more quickly than a bush fire, Leonie fled for South Africa while her lover absconded to Peru.’
- ‘An increase in emergency room visits of asthmatic patients was shown in the reports of an urban warehouse fire and the 1987 bush fire in California.’
- ‘In a recent bush fire in America there were 500 fire trucks and 93 helicopters at the scene.’
- ‘Reading spread like a bush fire and could no longer be stopped.’
- ‘According to the official report into the US case, a transmission line disconnected because of hot gases from a bush fire.’
- ‘Bush fire fighters had to concentrate on the smaller ‘spot’ fires and wait until the bush fire went out itself.’
- ‘In order to reproduce, and to survive, they will need the untamed energy of the bush fire.’
- ‘And shortly after we got approval a bush fire went through and burned what few trees there had been.’
- ‘The sea is pounding in but the sky is full of clouds and in the distance a bush fire is spewing smoke into the air.’
- ‘However, tragedy occurred once again during a bush fire in 1902, catching the house alight and burning it to ashes.’
- ‘It's not like a bush fire where you can go and put water on it.’
- ‘The bush fire, represented by the exploding figure in the centre of the painting, started at a place beyond the right edge of the painting.’
- ‘That said, democracy is like an Australian bush fire.’
- ‘What are you going to do if a bush fire starts from a lit candle falling from your altar?’
- ‘It takes one little spark to trigger a major bush fire, perhaps - and this could be it.’
- ‘Annual growth starts soon after the annual bush fire, at the change from the dry to the wet season (late January), and continues until October, at the next seasonal switch.’
- ‘He claimed falsely that his parents had died in a bush fire in Australia leaving him money to complete his education.’
- ‘His franchise chain of sandwich shops has spread like a bush fire.’
- ‘Bakr said a small bush fire also broke out near the river bank of the compound and fire tenders had to respond to put it out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.