One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An offering burned on an altar as a religious sacrifice.
sacrifice, oblation, peace offering, thank-offering, immolation, libation, first fruits, tribute, dedicationView synonyms
- ‘Juxtaposed with the burnt offerings and other sacrifices to God is a moral code of conduct - a code which God expects us to carry out in return for a life of freedom and glory.’
- ‘Once he arrives there, he must offer Isaac as a burnt offering upon the mountain.’
- ‘These were a ram for a burnt offering, and two young goats for a sin-offering.’
- ‘Three sacrifices were offered - the sin offering, the burnt offering, and the ordination offering.’
- ‘Since the flour was placed atop the burnt offerings, it was the burnt offerings that still constituted the basis of the sacrificial service (s).’
- ‘The burnt offering was the most comprehensive of the sacrifices and was offered to cover over sins and as a symbol of the total consecration of the presenter to God.’
- ‘The traditional understanding of this text teaches that God told Abraham to bind his son Isaac and sacrifice him to God as a burnt offering.’
- ‘For the Tabernacle of The Lord, which Moses made in the wilderness, and the altar of the burnt offering, were at that season in the high place at Gibeon.’
- ‘This man says, you foolish people, are you going back to your burnt offerings and sacrifices?’
- ‘From all the possibilities placed before him, the one that faithful Abraham hears is that he has to sacrifice Isaac as a burnt offering.’
2usually burnt offeringshumorous Overcooked or charred food.
- ‘He cooked the steak on the barbie while I did the veg and made a quick pepper ... Sorry to hear about the burnt offerings.’
- ‘But this year, instead of just throwing those snags on the grill and serving them up as a burnt offering, why not try some Sausagami!’
- ‘It all started when 3 good friends from Western Massachusetts, united in their love for authentic barbecue, dressed as monks and presented ‘Burnt Offerings’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.