One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An offering burned on an altar as a religious sacrifice.
sacrifice, oblation, peace offering, thank-offering, immolation, libation, first fruits, tribute, dedicationView synonyms
- ‘These were a ram for a burnt offering, and two young goats for a sin-offering.’
- ‘The traditional understanding of this text teaches that God told Abraham to bind his son Isaac and sacrifice him to God as a burnt offering.’
- ‘Three sacrifices were offered - the sin offering, the burnt offering, and the ordination offering.’
- ‘From all the possibilities placed before him, the one that faithful Abraham hears is that he has to sacrifice Isaac as a burnt offering.’
- ‘The burnt offering was the most comprehensive of the sacrifices and was offered to cover over sins and as a symbol of the total consecration of the presenter to God.’
- ‘Juxtaposed with the burnt offerings and other sacrifices to God is a moral code of conduct - a code which God expects us to carry out in return for a life of freedom and glory.’
- ‘This man says, you foolish people, are you going back to your burnt offerings and sacrifices?’
- ‘Since the flour was placed atop the burnt offerings, it was the burnt offerings that still constituted the basis of the sacrificial service (s).’
- ‘For the Tabernacle of The Lord, which Moses made in the wilderness, and the altar of the burnt offering, were at that season in the high place at Gibeon.’
- ‘Once he arrives there, he must offer Isaac as a burnt offering upon the mountain.’
2usually burnt offeringshumorous Overcooked or charred food.
- ‘But this year, instead of just throwing those snags on the grill and serving them up as a burnt offering, why not try some Sausagami!’
- ‘It all started when 3 good friends from Western Massachusetts, united in their love for authentic barbecue, dressed as monks and presented ‘Burnt Offerings’.’
- ‘He cooked the steak on the barbie while I did the veg and made a quick pepper ... Sorry to hear about the burnt offerings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.