Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A pigment made from ocher that has been darkened by heating, or resembling this in color.
- ‘Heating the yellow variety produces burnt ocher, which has a rich red color.’
- ‘Other pigments in common use were yellow ocher (hydrated Fe2O3), burnt ocher (hematite Fe2O3) and other ochers.’
- ‘At one time burnt ocher was sold for reddish diphryges according to Dioscorides.’
- 1.1The deep yellow-brown color of the pigment made from ocher.
- ‘For a moment we were blinded by a burnt ocher maelstrom aflame with the sun behind it.’
- ‘Fall in Minnesota, a sweet wistful time, bare trees, browns and gold and russet and burnt ocher.’
- ‘Thus, I've decided to adopt a ‘study question’ approach to the abstract, as well as explicitly encouraging people to Read More - plus use a burnt ocher for the links, rather than the less-visible beige-gold.’
- ‘Some users prefer a black screen background, others white, while splinter groups advocate burnt ocher, tawny puce, and shocking gray.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.