1Any of a number of shrubs noted for their bright red autumn foliage, in particular.
- ‘Barberry, knotweed, ailanthus, and the brilliant Euonymus known as burning bush are just some of the horticultural immigrants that continue to out-compete many of our indigenous species.’
- ‘But the burning bush sells doubly well in Scotland.’
2Any of a number of shrubs or trees with bright red leaves or fruits.
3another term for gas plant
- ‘The flowers (white or pink) and the leaves give off a strong aromatic vapour which can be ignited, hence the names gas plant and burning bush.’
- ‘It is known variously as Burning-bush, False Dittany, White Dittany, and Gas-plant.’
- ‘Gas plant, also known as burning bush, is a perennial flower.’
Mid 19th century: with biblical allusion to Exod. 3:2.