One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remove (a substance) using a flame.‘using a blowtorch to burn off the paint’
- ‘But two days later, workers were back to burn the yellow paint off the road, after it was discovered they had been painted in error.’
- ‘However, at 10 am, a man with a blow torch is burning the lines off and at 3pm, the lines have all gone.’
- ‘The heat burned the paint off the walls and, Chicca realized later, most of the hair from his head and face.’
- ‘And in the light of day, feel no regrets that you have burnt the paint off the sides of your barbecue and voided the manufacturer's limited warranty.’
- ‘And last Sunday morning, nine days after the lines were painted, workmen came back and burnt them off again.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.