One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make someone homeless by destroying their home by fire.‘they were burned out of their homes’
- ‘The phosphorus from the smoke shells burned us out.’
- ‘When we moved four years ago, we were in desperate need of a place because we had been burned out of our old house.’
- ‘When it burned him out of his home in 1791 no public outcry ensued.’
- ‘I'll guarantee you that our Lord Steward doesn't know I have it, else he'd be burning me out of house and home.’
- ‘She was burned out of her house and her relatives killed in front of her.’
- ‘When that happened, said Nomani, ‘I quoted Sojourner Truth when she said, ‘If they burn us out, then I shall preach upon the ashes.’’
- ‘They tried to blow her up, to burn her out, to foreclose on her mortgage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.