Cancer of the lymphatic system, caused by the Epstein–Barr virus, chiefly affecting children in central Africa.
- ‘EBV is associated with Hogkin's disease, Burkitt's lymphoma and stomach cancer.’
- ‘When a patient gets the right therapy, up to 90 percent of the children with Burkitt's lymphoma recover; about half will survive Ewing's sarcoma and rhabdomyosarcoma, and up to 40 percent will recover from neuroblastoma.’
- ‘But scientists have much more to learn about how other genetic mutations, environmental factors and infectious agents, such as the Epstein-Barr virus, work together to cause Burkitt's lymphoma.’
- ‘The development of some types of NHL, such as Burkitt's lymphoma, may have some link to the Epstein-Barr virus (the cause of infectious mononucleosis, or mono).’
- ‘Two of these viruses, Kaposis Sarcoma Associated Herpes virus and Epstein - Barr virus, predispose infected individuals to the cancers Kaposis sarcoma, Burkitt's lymphoma and Hodgkin's disease.’
1960s: named after D. P. Burkitt (1911–93), the British surgeon who described it.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.