One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aquatic reedlike plant with rounded flower heads. Its oily seeds are an important source of winter food for wildfowl.
Genus Sparganium, family Sparganiaceae
- ‘Examples of emergent aquatic plants include bur-reeds and Sagittaria or Arrowhead.’
- ‘Connecticut has seven species of bur-reed, all rather similar in appearance and distinguished by technical characteristics.’
- ‘By any name, these little frogs (the ones pictured here were about 5 / 8ths of an inch long) were hanging out on the leaves of the bur-reeds in Cattail Swale.’
- ‘The other bur-reeds have one stigma, and the fruit tapers to the base and apex.’
- ‘The most populous families are the pondweeds and bur-reeds, but others are water-plantains, arrow-grasses, arums, duckweeds and cat-tails.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.