One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long nylon-cased rubber band used for securing luggage and in bungee jumping.
- ‘What we will do with baby parakeets I'm not sure, but with help from a saw, some string, and a bungee cord, the nesting box is now in place.’
- ‘Curtis Rivers climbed to 15,200 ft in a hot air balloon before leaping from the basket attached to a 35 ft bungee cord.’
- ‘Most of us have seen pictures of people who jump from high bridges tied to a bungee cord that allows them to plummet and then bob up and down like a yo-yo.’
- ‘I'd not been warned about the bungee cord dangling from the luggage rack, which swiftly entangled itself in the gears, getting me as greasy-fingered fixing it as I would have been refitting the chain on my old rattler.’
- ‘Tomlinson is hopping over cones for a few minutes, then running while attached to a bungee cord to help activate fast-twitch muscles.’
- ‘Strap a bungee cord to my ankle and leap face-first into a pool of asphalt?’
- ‘While some people may enjoy an adrenaline rush leaping off high bridges attached to a bungee cord, abseiling down a rocky cliff will probably have supporters among those who prefer the slower but more adventurous route to the bottom.’
- ‘They stood on opposite sides of the van and began to secure the mattress to the roof with a bungee cord.’
- ‘In another event held over the weekend, crowds of people gathered at the Half Moon pub at Strensall to watch brave souls attached to a bungee rope jump 150 ft from a crane for charity.’
- ‘A bungee retracts, while a knot on a cord through the hole limits the amount the button can be pulled out (and this bears the load when the wing is being pulled down).’
- ‘A good exercise for beginners to simulate the pole vault is to, while on the trampoline, land on your back, shoot up into the air feet first and try and clear a bungee rope being held in the air next to you.’
- ‘Most of the first volume is devoted to this contest, and it's hopefully not giving too much away to note that our heroine does best Hayama after several comic failed attempts (the best involves a bungee cord in the school gym).’
- ‘An indispensable braid of live rubber with clips at both ends: it's a bungee, tourniquet, lanyard, clothesline, gear strap, and 52 other things.’
- ‘And if anyone wanted a little extra excitement then the Tralee Chamber had an inflatable bungee, twister and jousting games for the patrons to enjoy.’
- ‘The bungee cord is then attached to the participant and the cord is stretched to five times its original length.’
- ‘The best way to do that is jumping off a 70-foot platform while strapped to a giant bungee cord.’
- ‘‘The Stunts of Tomb Raider’ takes a look at the stunts utilized in the film, including the bungee cord sequence and the pendulum column Lara rides in the film.’
- ‘They reached the truck and Blair climbed in, stuffing his bag on the floor while Jim set the case in the back and secured it with a bungee cord.’
- ‘Also, my car was so old the bumper was tied on with a bungee cord.’
- ‘He walks laterally, legs straining outward against a bungee cord around his feet, bent at the waist, hands spread wide.’
Perform a bungee jump.
- ‘I've bungied (bungeed?) before, but not off the harbour bridge and that's reason enough to do it again.’
- ‘Despite my fear, I have jumped out of planes, bungeed over gambling towns, scaled buildings without ropes, and abseiled from the odd mountain here and there.’
- ‘Mandy fires the grappling hook onto a guardrail and bungees down into space, the cable holding her as she lowers herself to the fifth floor.’
- ‘That sound you heard was Mike ‘That Toddlin' Town’ Wilbon bungeeing off the Sears Tower.’
- ‘When Andy (Tom Everett Scott) saves the life of the beautiful Serafine by bungeeing off the Eiffel Tower as she throws herself to her hopeful death, he unwittingly gets himself caught up in the whole werewolf mystique.’
- ‘The centrepiece turns out to be Cruise bungeeing down a vent shaft in a retread of the first film's best scene.’
- ‘So they've got to climb back up to bungee - it was like, OK.’
- ‘But, try to get him to base jump after you're done bungeeing, well, then you're just being a bitch.’
- ‘And while there are fine skiing destinations close to Queenstown, the town itself has a party-on-down atmosphere and is more somewhere to bungee till you drop.’
- ‘Between the mechanical bull riders and the buck naked girls bungeeing through the hot summer air like Tomb Raider's Lara Croft, it may have been hard for some to pull themselves away from the dark carnival sideshow attractions.’
1930s (denoting an elasticated cord for launching a glider): of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.