Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A foot in the shape of a flattened sphere, used for chairs, tables, or other furniture in the late 17th century.
- ‘The gadrooned column and lobed bun feet of the games table illustrated in Figure 5 are typical of the heavy silhouettes associated with the late 1820s and the 1830s, and the use of ebony or ebonized wood emphasizes these elements.’
- ‘For more bun feet selections see our other offering for bun feet.’
- ‘If you would prefer to use this cupboard on the floor, we can attach tiny bun feet to the base.’
- ‘The couch has white gold bun feet and ostrich feather throw pillows.’
- ‘We have sold over 2 million of these sofa legs and bun feet to-date.’
- ‘If you are trying for a simpler look, this bun foot is also available in an un-fluted version.’
- ‘Thus, we know that bun feet preceded bracket feet and that through dovetails were succeeded by lapped dovetails.’
- ‘Orient the vase with the bun foot against the drive center.’
- ‘Columns and bun feet are offered as whole parts, or split.’
- ‘Styles A, B, C and D all come with a hanger bolt installed in top of the bun foot.’
- ‘My best find was two Victorian chairs with mahogany bun feet that had been dumped in a builder's skip.’
- ‘Bun feet can be ordered with or without a hanger bolt.’
- ‘He first paints the bun foot white, adding red stripes for the look of a peppermint candy.’
- ‘Hi - I bought one of those granite counter vanities with a sink for an amazing price because it was missing the bun feet.’
- ‘The Premium feet are slightly more, but do not have the minor blemishes sometimes found in bun feet.’
- ‘Our tradition of fine craftsmanship continues in our collection of wood table legs and bun feet.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.