Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very large frog that has a deep booming croak and is often a predator of smaller vertebrates.
- ‘Her belabored breathing is indistinguishable from the sounds of nature, the bullfrog's croaks and the insects' swarms.’
- ‘Large, invasive, and voracious as adults, bullfrogs often out-compete - and often eat - native amphibians.’
- ‘Some fisherman and froggers catch large catfish, turtles, and bullfrogs by hand, thus preserving an ancient art.’
- ‘The average masses of the small bullfrogs and green frogs were determined by weighing 60 haphazardly chosen tadpoles from the populations used.’
- ‘Mating success is often skewed toward central ‘hotshot’ males, such as in black grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, and bullfrogs.’
- ‘We also ran into a bullfrog big enough to choke an egret, as you can tell from its photo.’
- ‘The Service hopes to further investigate the relationship between the non-native bullfrogs and the garter snakes within the Central Valley region.’
- ‘‘You don't hear bullfrogs or toads anymore, because we've poisoned the streams and creeks with our chemicals,’ Askins speculates.’
- ‘With all the senses tingling, you can hear the hippos at the watering hole; the croak of the bullfrogs; smell the dank scent of the cooling earth and anticipate, with trepidation, a prowling lioness.’
- ‘I conducted a field playback experiment to investigate whether territorial male bullfrogs assess the size of opponents based solely on size-related variation in fundamental frequency.’
- ‘In southern Arizona the most common vertebrates found in bullfrogs are other bullfrogs, Schwalbe said.’
- ‘In their native habitat, predators such as large water snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles keep adult bullfrogs in check, while fish slurp tadpoles.’
- ‘And bullfrogs are just one of a number of amphibian species people have moved, either by accident or for some intended benefit.’
- ‘We identified 5 bacterial species from the newts and 5 from the bullfrogs.’
- ‘The lake behind the house was filled with tree frogs and bullfrogs and cicadas and crickets.’
- ‘There was always some sound to be heard; the chirping of crickets, bird songs, bullfrogs croaking, and the crunching of leaves and pine needles underfoot.’
- ‘Evidence from past studies shows that the presence of Anax induces a reduction in activity level of small green frogs and bullfrogs.’
- ‘The tadpoles of some species, such as the bullfrog, take as long as two years to metamorphose into young frogs.’
- ‘The American bullfrog, for example, discharges copious amounts of mucus when basking in the drying rays of the sun.’
- ‘Also see fishlike tadpoles that will later metamorphose into American bullfrogs, sprouting legs and losing their tails.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.