Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A board for displaying notices.
- ‘In the entryway they might notice a bulletin board advertising midwifery services, childcare, or book exchanges.’
- ‘Post colorful flyers at the front desk and in the locker rooms and designate a bulletin board to display the rules of the game.’
- ‘On my AP bulletin board there seem to be a dozen different policies at schools for determining who could take AP classes.’
- ‘Clark learned about the drivers' training course when he saw a notice about it on a bulletin board and signed up.’
- ‘Students like reading about their classmates and seeing their artworks displayed on the bulletin board.’
- ‘He pushed his way through a large group of chattering students who were reading the postings on the bulletin board.’
- ‘Then she remembered the notice on the bulletin board earlier that day.’
- ‘The comment cards posted on the bulletin board at the Seattle showing indicate that the exhibit has gotten under viewers' skin.’
- ‘You've earned the distinct honor of being the only person to write a craigslist ad that is now proudly displayed on the bulletin board in my office.’
- ‘She stepped back until she found herself pressed up against the cork bulletin board adjacent to the blackboard.’
- ‘He noticed she still had her bulletin board covered in the pictures of them growing up together back when they had been best friends.’
- ‘A week later, I passed by that same bulletin board and noticed something that impacted me immensely.’
- ‘Next to the display was a bulletin board filled with letters and photographs and mementos.’
- ‘A referral service offers a more personalized approach for clients than simply posting gig notices on a bulletin board.’
- ‘A bulletin board behind her desk displays photos of her clients, who have names like Chipper and Chunk.’
- ‘Noticing a large bulletin board across from us, I walked over and scanned it; Jocelyn was close behind and did the same.’
- ‘At the very end of the hallway was a bulletin board with a few scarce notices about report card distribution and an even emptier trophy case.’
- ‘When I finished university in Kunming, the bulletin board had a little notice.’
- ‘Storming down the corridor, I don't even notice the cast list hanging off the bulletin board.’
- ‘By the time he'd hung up his jacket and backpack and pinned the construction paper fish with his name on it to the bulletin board, he was totally ready to go.’
- ‘That spring afternoon of my senior year, I stared at the bulletin board reading the telegrams tacked up on it.’
- ‘She passed a desk and a bulletin board filled with notices and announcements.’
- 1.1Computing An information storage system designed to permit any authorized computer user to access and add to it from a remote terminal.
- ‘Although there are Internet bulletin board systems, forums and blogs, they reflect but do not impact public trends and opinions.’
- ‘It falls somewhere between a content management system, a web bulletin board system, and a weblog.’
- ‘A quick look at the official Web site bulletin board shows that people are already demanding more than the half-hour slot provided.’
- ‘I'm thinking about putting up a bulletin board to give us more ways to interact with each other.’
- ‘Years ago, I used to write stories with other people, using online bulletin board systems (BBSs).’
- ‘Before long, other bulletin board users were placing the smiley face in their messages.’
- ‘A bulletin board system operator will be held responsible for what topics are and what the commentators say.’
- ‘They sponsor and supervise online chatrooms, bulletin board message exchanges and keep the email systems running on track.’
- ‘Share the article with your favorite bulletin board, newsgroup, or website.’
- ‘This was the time of the electronic bulletin board system, or BBS.’
- ‘This is the same old story that has been repeated so many times on the bulletin board systems.’
- ‘This makes running a bulletin board difficult and potentially expensive, especially for a company with enough money to make it worth launching a libel action.’
- ‘Since I am not a computer bulletin board participant, I have asked that the following be posted for me by a friend.’
- ‘With the Internet, all they have to do is to post the rumors at the bulletin board systems or blogs and then the netizens will propagate the information.’
- ‘This is a bulletin board system at which hundreds of people can post essays and commentaries on current affairs.’
- ‘The user collects payments by observing the contents of the bulletin board and decrypting those corresponding to his private key.’
- ‘More experienced hackers with programming skills develop hacker programs and post them to the Web and to bulletin board systems.’
- ‘It has been 25 years since online community found its humble beginnings via the first computer bulletin board.’
- ‘I thought for sure someone had already created a great web based bulletin board system, but in fact, no one had.’
- ‘Customers are greeted with a glass of wine, a personal profile is filled out and a photo is taken and posted on a bulletin board.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.