One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of setting dogs to harass and attack a tethered bull, popular as a sport in medieval Europe.
- ‘But at least when hunting with dogs is banned, this bloodsport can take its place in history alongside cock-fighting and bull-baiting.’
- ‘Traditional recreations of the lower classes came increasingly under the disapproving inspection of their social superiors, particularly when, like cock-fighting and bull-baiting, they involved cruelty to animals.’
- ‘Bear-baiting and bull-baiting were as popular as reality TV shows are today.’
- ‘Hare-coursing, cock-fighting, dog-fighting, bull-baiting, bull-running, and prize-fighting were variations on the same theme.’
- ‘‘These dogs were bred for bull-baiting in medieval times,’ Butler explained.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.