Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large, stout-bodied aggressive shark. Its widespread distribution, its habits of feeding close to shore, and its tendency to venture far into estuaries and rivers makes it a species particularly dangerous to humans.
- ‘One stray bull shark was even found in the Mississippi River all the way up to Illinois.’
- ‘The tiny crew worked with a local shark expert, who introduced the team to a population of mostly gray reef sharks and a few bull sharks that were used to divers.’
- ‘Typically, these attacks involve tiger, great white, gray reef, and bull sharks.’
- ‘Of the 350-odd species of sharks, there may be three that have been implicated regularly in attacks on people, and they are the white shark, the tiger shark and the bull shark.’
- ‘To dive off Hartlepool in January wearing only a short-sleeved T-shirt was a remarkable experience, despite the fire coral and the bull sharks.’
- ‘Three types of sharks are common in the area: the sand tiger shark, bull shark and scalloped hammerhead.’
- ‘He's been fitting crittercams on sharks since 1997, first on tiger sharks in Australia and more recently on bull sharks and hammerheads in Florida.’
- ‘And, during the peak of the season, big fish such as tarpon and bull sharks occasionally are hooked.’
- ‘I want to be a bull shark; they can survive in both fresh and salt water.’
- ‘It's a large bull shark, one of the most charismatic sharks in the sea, all power and assurance.’
- ‘His own obsession began when he was a boy and saw a huge bull shark brought ashore on the Miami Beach docks, still breathing.’
- ‘Growing to about 12 feet, bull sharks inhabit the east coasts of the Americas and are known to swim many miles up rivers.’
- ‘However, none of the tagged bull sharks in the nearby Caloosahatchee River left before or during the storm.’
- ‘‘We already got four tiger sharks up to 690 pounds, one 529-pound hammerhead and a 323-pound bull shark,’ said Chaney.’
- ‘A friend and I were plucking spiny lobsters from a reef not far off the coast of Pompano Beach, Fla., when a mature bull shark idled entirely too close.’
- ‘These people say the real culprit behind many of the reported incidents - including the famous 1916 shark attacks in New Jersey that may have served as inspiration for Jaws - may be the lesser known bull shark.’
- ‘Once you've seen a bull shark, you'll never forget it.’
- ‘The film wraps with tense footage of a catch-and-release night hunt for a seven-foot bull shark.’
- ‘Fishing off the tip of Turtle Point reef I had a big bull shark of some ten feet turn up.’
- ‘Deciding that he was going to go swimming with wild dolphins, he jumped into the middle of a school of aggressive, seven-foot bull sharks, one of which bit him in the foot.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.