One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area where a structure is being constructed or repaired.
- ‘Would you like to grade a building site with the same ease that you play a computer game?’
- ‘Just in the last few weeks it's started to change from being a building site to buildings.’
- ‘From 1909 Galerkin began to study building sites and construction works throughout Europe.’
- ‘Mr Kelleher said it was understandable that children would have a natural curiosity about building sites but safety had to remain a priority.’
- ‘For that reason, he uses a rock milling machine when excavating for streets, highways, and building sites.’
- ‘It depicts a construction worker hanging desperately from a steel girder on a building site.’
- ‘He's a big man with a withering sense of humour honed after a generation on Scottish building sites where getting brickies to trowel cement more quickly is a form of black art.’
- ‘Athens, a site of great historical interest, was a building site a matter of months ago.’
- ‘Her mother's family were construction engineers and through visiting building sites as a child she became interested in construction.’
- ‘The site is still a building site, with stacks of concrete blocks and scaffolding in the bare corridors.’
- ‘During 1946, up to one fifth of all farm work in Britain was being done by German POWs, and they were also employed on road works and building sites.’
- ‘This considers advertisement hoardings to be acceptable around building sites or where they screen unsightly areas.’
- ‘The construction materials are very expensive but there are more building sites than workers available.’
- ‘For as long as six years the families at the Shandon site were living on what was nothing more than a building site.’
- ‘Petty cash, company stationary, mobile phones and laptops rank high among items stolen from offices, building sites and changing rooms.’
- ‘Industrial and construction noises from factories and building sites also produced a barrage of complaints.’
- ‘There have been many reports of machinery having been stolen at building sites at various locations around the area.’
- ‘Amish construction groups travel to building sites for commercial and residential construction.’
- ‘The move should help keep down construction inflation costs and make building sites safer.’
- ‘John worked on various building sites during the early 1920s, including the construction of Wembley Stadium.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.