Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A gradual, systematic reduction in numbers, especially of nuclear weapons.
- ‘Since the crisis began in late 2002, their position has been that North Korea must commit to a complete, verifiable, and irreversible nuclear builddown before receiving any benefits.’
- ‘It is time for the federal government to follow a builddown strategy to extract itself from most civilian space ventures and let the private sector take over.’
- ‘And, of course, you can continue to have offensive weapon builddown, as we are doing unilaterally in this country and as the Russians are doing.’
- ‘It was Reagan's much-hated buildup that made the 1990s Cold War builddown possible - and helped create the late 1990s budget surpluses that so many in Washington who opposed the defense buildup tried to claim as their own.’
- ‘Develop and execute plans and policies for builddown of officer/warrant officer corps during Army downsizing.’
- ‘Defense builddown and inventory management: hearings before the Committee on Armed Services, United States Senate, One Hundred Second Congress, second session, February 26, 27, and 28, 1992.’
- ‘A recent study by the Congressional Budget Office compares current budget options with past defense builddowns.’
- ‘Regime change in Moscow led to a rapid nuclear-arms builddown on both sides that would previously have been considered impossible by orthodox arms-control thinkers.’
- ‘President Reagan understood that sometimes you need an arms buildup before you can have an arms builddown.’
- ‘It would accelerate progress toward a stable strategic environment by adding a more general stand-down of nuclear forces to the gradual builddown now beginning.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.