Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A comic actor in Italian opera or a person resembling such an actor.
- ‘Donald Maxwell is a seasoned operatic buffo, who nicely cherishes, relishes and polishes his pontificating arias, with chorus usually dancing attendance.’
- ‘Joel Katz played the buffo Sacristan with humour, and the required nervous tics so meticulously notated in Puccini's score.’
- ‘English buffo Ian Wallace lacks the ripeness and buzz of the best Italian buffos, but the voice is substantial enough and his mastery of the text is never in doubt; his expertise shows through particularly during the "Gioa pace!" scene.’
Of or typical of Italian comic opera.‘a buffo character’
- ‘Those Mozart parts are known as buffo roles, written for the semi-comic character singers of Mozart's companies, rather than noble, heroic leading men.’
- ‘By now, it should come as no surprise that Juan Diego Flórez is the ideal Rossini tenor, combining youthful charm with florid razzle-dazzle, or that Ferruccio Furlanetto (Mustafà) and Earle Patriarco are masters of the buffo idiom.’
- ‘After this quintessence of the buffo style, La Cenerentola, while not lacking in comic situations, is more sentimentally inclined, and in the remaining years of his Italian career Rossini produced no comedy at all.’
- ‘The smaller parts are done with professional polish, and I must mention Salvatore Baccaloni in the little role of Doctor Grenvil, because he would continue on to become a buffo star at the Metropolitan Opera in the 1940s.’
- ‘Finally, Saskia Willaert writes in some details about the buffo opera singer and the repertory of Italian opera in London.’
Mid 18th century: Italian, ‘puff of wind, buffoon’, from buffare ‘to puff’, of imitative origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.