One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in US history) an African-American cavalry soldier.
- ‘The term ‘buffalo soldier’ originated during this period.’
- ‘Wash looked up to see five buffalo soldiers and a white sergeant smiling over the barrels of rifles.’
- ‘On March 2, 2001 the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum was issued a Certificate of Congressional Recognition from U.S. Congresswoman Ms. Sheila Jackson Lee.’
- ‘Soon the Ninth's troopers also became known as buffalo soldiers, and ultimately the infantrymen too came to be considered buffalo soldiers.’
- ‘His father had been a buffalo soldier in the Twenty-Fifth Infantry stationed at Fort Custer in the early 1890s.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.