One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Short lengths of young branches with buds prepared for grafting on to the rootstock of another plant.
- ‘The team made budwood - for grafting - available to breeders and nurseries for the first time last year.’
- ‘Cuttings for budwood are taken when the vines are dormant and no leaves are present to show symptoms, making it impossible to distinguish healthy from infected plants.’
- ‘The farms had received budwood from a nursery in the quarantine area in central Queensland.’
- ‘The trees, as well as their seeds, budwood, and pollen, serve as valuable germplasm - plant tissue containing the essential genetic information needed to start new citrus plants.’
- ‘When PPV emerged in Pennsylvania, APHIS quarantined all stone fruit trees, seed, budwood, and nursery stock in a 4-square-mile Adams County area to keep PPV from escaping via plant material bound for other U.S. stone fruit regions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.