One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A widespread Asian religion or philosophy, founded by Siddartha Gautama in northeastern India in the 5th century BC.
Buddhism has no creator god and gives a central role to the doctrine of karma. The ‘four noble truths’ of Buddhism state that all existence is suffering, that the cause of suffering is desire, that freedom from suffering is nirvana, and that this is attained through the ‘eightfold’ path of ethical conduct, wisdom, and mental discipline (including meditation). There are two major traditions, Theravada and Mahayana
- ‘My own interest has been in the actual practice of Buddhism in Buddhist lands today.’
- ‘This seems to be the point of convergence between Christianity and Buddhism.’
- ‘Since its beginnings, the Hindu religion in Bali has been closely related to Buddhism.’
- ‘The practice of Dharma refers to following Buddhism's Eightfold Path to Enlightenment.’
- ‘This awakening is the crucial watershed in the Buddha's life and the key reference point for Buddhism.’
- ‘So we were very eager to practice Buddhism in such a way that we could bring it into society.’
- ‘Falun Gong is a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism and meditation and breathing exercises.’
- ‘Depending on the sect of Buddhism, the word bodhisattva has essentially two meanings.’
- ‘Although Buddhism originated in India it now flourishes predominantly in other parts of Asia.’
- ‘The study of Buddhism over the past century or so has resembled the encounter of the blind men and the elephant in many ways.’
- ‘For about a millennium after the death of the Buddha, Buddhism flourished in India.’
- ‘He sees this balance most clearly in the Eastern religions, particularly Buddhism and Hinduism.’
- ‘She wrote about her adventures and what she learned about Buddhism and the mysteries of Tibet.’
- ‘The Qianlong Emperor surpassed his predecessors as a patron of Buddhism and Buddhist art.’
- ‘Zen is the common name for this branch of Buddhism in Japanese as well as in English.’
- ‘Ergo, Buddhism would have a western flavour in the west while keeping to the teachings of the Buddha.’
- ‘The goal of Buddhism is nirvana, a transcendence of the confines of mind and body.’
- ‘Place this religious psychology alongside Buddhism, with its fleeing of the world.’
- ‘Much of Kendo's philosophy is drawn from Zen and from Buddhism and from Shintoism.’
- ‘This all changed when Hsiao gained a spiritual interest in Buddhism a decade ago.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.