One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An Asian plant of the dock family that produces starchy seeds. The seeds are used for fodder and are also milled into flour that is widely used in the US.
Fagopyrum esculentum, family Polygonaceae
- ‘‘When it comes to pancakes,’ Cheryl says, ‘we like buckwheats and buttermilks with equal enthusiasm, and we keep a jar of sourdough starter in the refrigerator for serious pancake cravings.’’
- ‘Cereals such as oats, barley, millet, buckwheat, rye, sesame, nuts and seeds are preferable.’
- ‘Drink nettle or dandelion teas and eat foods rich in vitamin B6, including sunflower seeds, brown rice, buckwheat and avocados.’
- ‘Increase whole grains such as millet, buckwheat, quinoa, oats, rye and barley.’
- ‘Add in the buckwheat, the vegetables and the pain d' épice, and toss lightly to coat, making sure the ingredients are nicely blended.’
- ‘They might have a thick home-made smoothie or something warm if it's cold, such as oats, buckwheat, millet or quinoa porridge - the most nutritious of all the grains.’
- ‘This result is consistent with observations for other species that show Al-stimulated organic acid anion release, including wheat, maize and buckwheat.’
- ‘Other foods are yams, millet, corn, wheat, buckwheat, and sorghum.’
- ‘Homologous sequences of PER1 were also isolated from Arabidopsis, rice, buckwheat, and wheat.’
- ‘Now you can choose from mixtures of whole barley, buckwheat, triticale, amaranth, rye, kamut, and more.’
- ‘Wedding hypothesized that sunlight caused a chemical reaction with the buckwheat as it traversed the cutaneous blood vessels in nonpigmented areas.’
- ‘The peasant staples were rye bread, and porridge made from oats, buckwheat, or wheat.’
- ‘A few whole grains you should add to your diet include brown and wild rice, barley, oats, kasha, quinoa, bulgur and buckwheat.’
- ‘The fillings are incredibly, filling, rich and tasty, with the buckwheat in the crêpes giving everything a good, nutty texture.’
- ‘Ohsawa and Tsutsumi showed that the buckwheat plants sown in the early summer contained higher amounts of rutin than the plants sown in the late summer.’
- ‘With protection, annual vegetables and flowers thrive, as do wind-tolerant perennials like buckwheats, grasses, and penstemons.’
- ‘The primary sources of flour, for example, are potato, buckwheat, corn, rice and quinoa, all of which contain high amounts of carbs.’
- ‘Just be sure to turn under the succulent green growth before the buckwheat goes to seed.’
- ‘Barley and buckwheat have more amino acid than rice and flour.’
- ‘Try buckwheat as an alternative source of complex carbohydrates for breakfast or any other meal or snack.’
2in full buckwheat treesee titi
Mid 16th century: from Middle Dutch boecweite ‘beech wheat’, its grains being shaped like beechmast.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.