One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a horse) jump vertically with its head lowered, back arched, and legs drawn together in an attempt to unseat its rider.
- ‘An eye-witness said that the two men could not hold the horse for him to remount it, that it buckjumped, reared, threw the adjutant, and fell heavily on him.’
- ‘Sometimes when we were going down a steep slope, something would begin to pinch her and she would turn in toward the high side of the trail and buckjump in place a couple of times, then I would get off and check it out to find the problem.’
- ‘After galloping him a mile and a half over that track with me he would start buckjumping when pulling up down the backside and Jim Daily the outrider would sit on his pony every morning and say he has never seen anything like this horse either… I had tears in my eyes as I watched the Belmont from a catwalk between the bays in the Mutuel Dept.’
- ‘It could even buckjump once the race has started.’
- ‘He fared better than only one horse in the six-horse field, Steel Surfing, who, according to Equibase Co.'s chart ‘propped’ and ‘buckjumped’ and ran in last for the duration of the race.’
often as modifier An act or display of buckjumping.‘a buckjump rider’
- ‘Kitty Gill, a member of the famous Gill family, was billed in 1947 as the ‘world's greatest lady buckjump rider’ and the only living person to stay on the World's Champion outlaw ‘Firefly’.’
- ‘He was a fearless buckjump rider and a successful amateur, well known in the racing world, where his livery colours were familiar to race-goers.’
- ‘The penultimate event was the bull-riding - in some ways more entertaining than the buckjumps, as the bulls had a pretty good go at the competitors and the clown in the centre - chasing them round the ring, making a few jump for the safety of the railings.’
- ‘He won many trophies and ribbons and was a true devotee of Australian buckjump riding.’
- ‘At the Warwick Rodeo in 1938, Jack was 5th in the Australian buckjump championship and won the South-West Queensland championship at Goondiwindi the same year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.