One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The horn of a deer, used to make knife handles, small containers, and rifle sights.
- ‘The front sight was a dovetail blade and the rear a handmade primitive buckhorn.’
- ‘Shiloh welcomes custom orders so we also asked for front sight dovetails and buckhorn style rear sights.’
- ‘This beautiful levergun features a tough all-steel receiver, forend and buttstock made of American walnut, a gold-bead front sight, adjustable buckhorn rear sight octagonal 20’ barrel and 10-round tubular magazine.’
- ‘Most single-shot rifles have very plain sights with a post front and buckhorn style rear.’
- ‘The front sight is a black post riding in a dovetail, thus easily adjusted for windage, while the rear sight is a buckhorn on a sliding ramp to adjust for elevation.’
- ‘Sights are a bead front and a buckhorn rear, which I quickly replaced with a Williams receiver peep sight.’
- ‘Standard sights furnished on the Cimarron High Wall are a blade front and buckhorn rear sight in standard dovetails.’
- ‘I would much rather see this model provided with a buckhorn rear sight for cowboy shooting.’
- ‘With them one could achieve a degree of precision not possible with the typical rear leaf or buckhorn sight of the period.’
- ‘The buckhorn rear sight blocked over half the ghost ring's field of view, which kind of defeats the purpose of a ghost ring.’
- ‘The Winchester Model 1892 was equipped with standard buckhorn sights, while the Marlin had been fitted with a receiver sight.’
- ‘Model 1892 rifles had a buckhorn rear sight as standard.’
- ‘If you like, Wild West Guns will remove the buckhorn rear sight and install a slot blank.’
- ‘Duplicates of original sights came on the new Ballard, consisting of Rocky Mountain front, buckhorn rear and sporting tang.’
- ‘Sights are a conventional buckhorn rear and the dovetail mounted front sight has a nicely visible brass bead.’
- ‘The full buckhorn fixed rear sight on this rifle with fine notch provides as clean a sight picture as irons are capable of.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.