Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A seat in a car or aircraft with a rounded back to fit one person.
- ‘Once Wang Rui, fastens himself into the bucket seat, he feels again the familiar urge: to explode out of the start at a speed of more than 100 km per hour and snatch the racing championship.’
- ‘I peeked around the bucket seat hoping to get a better look at the driver.’
- ‘Another option is the Elite package, whose main feature is a conversion of the rear-seat bench into two distinct bucket seats - they're even heated.’
- ‘Reclining bucket seats, an upmarket suspension and running boards are three more common items that add another grand.’
- ‘Very simple - child seats, bucket seats and airbags.’
- ‘The Rendezvous' interior features front-row bucket seats in addition to a third row of seats that increases total seating capacity to accommodate seven passengers.’
- ‘The bucket seat I've been strapped into is authentically cramped and uncomfortable, and every one of the dials and switches on the complicated control panel in front of me works just as they do in a real Tucano.’
- ‘The 2005 Mercedes-Benz Vision SLR goes it one better, featuring a body that includes fiber-reinforced composites and carbon fiber bucket seats.’
- ‘The ‘Gunsaddle’ is a ‘V’ shaped firearms carrier that is designed to be wedged between a bucket seat and the center console of a car or truck.’
- ‘The sleek design includes bucket seats styled after Arne Jacobsen's Egg chair and a matt silver finish on the grille, headlights and interior trim that was inspired by Philippe Starck's Moto 6.5 Aprilia motorbikes.’
- ‘Police told him his harness and bucket seat saved his life.’
- ‘An optional center console with power outlet can be latched between the front seats or second-row bucket seats.’
- ‘She reached the driver's side, opened the door, and stepped in, sliding comfortably into the bucket seat.’
- ‘To match its performance persona, the MazdaSpeed gets its own front and rear fascias, plus special sport bucket seats and metal-look interior trim.’
- ‘It offers a comfortable ride for up to five people, the leather trimmed interior has front bucket seats and a bench in back with a sculpted space.’
- ‘Obviously it's not going to duplicate the bracingly intimate experience of hurtling into the future while poised merely centimetres above the road surface in the bucket seat of an MG roadster.’
- ‘Take the bucket seat out of your old Chevy, put it on a wood frame in the middle of a field and sit in it.’
- ‘You then drop yourself into the commander's seat, close the hatch and manoeuvre backwards onto the left bucket seat taking care not to sit on the seat belts.’
- ‘With some help getting into the high cockpit, Bullard settled himself into the bucket seat and began the ritual of strapping on parachute and safety harnesses.’
- ‘It provides an improved distribution of back pressure for enhanced comfort, as well as increased lateral support comparable to front-row bucket seats.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.