Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A variety of wine grape grown chiefly in Madeira.
- ‘The high acidity in the Bual grape combined with Maderization, a process in which the wine is fortified and then slowly cooked in barrel over a period of many years, allows the wine to achieve incredible longevity.’
- ‘The white Sercial, Verdelho, Bual, and Malvasia varieties which are classified as ‘noble’ by the ruling Madeira Wine Institute are in short supply.’
- ‘The name was used for a whole group of grapes but today is usually connected with the Bual de Madeira.’
- ‘This fine wine is made from the Bual grape which produces a medium rich style, perhaps the most versatile among Madeira's.’
- ‘It has many subvarieties, although Bual Cachudo is the highest quality one, and is the most commonly planted.’
- 1.1A Madeira wine of a medium sweet type made from Bual grapes.
- ‘Served slightly chilled, dry Sercials and Verdelhos make fresh, exuberant aperitifs, while the richer Buals and Malmseys are superb with cheese, nuts - and cigars - at the end of a meal.’
- ‘4670 1827 Quinta de Serrado Bual (from the cama de lobos district, matured in the cask at the quinta, put in demijohns in 1935, bottled in 1988)’
- ‘Crème brulée or dark chocolate make great foils for Bual and Malmsey, though the latter especially can be a dessert in and of itself.’
- ‘Barbeito Bual 1863 5 NR 5/2003 order of 1btl $245.00 Rare Wine Company 5 / 2003, order of 1btl $290.00 Rare Wine Company 12/2003 / / order of 12 btls $290.00 ea, Rare Wine Company 2/2004 / / order of 2btls $325.00 ea.’
- ‘Wine Spectator 87 points - Medium-bodied for Bual, showing attractive caramel, smoke and earth notes.’
- ‘The name is used on Madeira labels to indicate a medium-dry style somewhere between Sercial and Bual, with nuttiness and a just discernible amount of sweetness.’
- ‘All of Barbeito's wines - even the fully sweet Buals and Malmseys - lie somewhere between pale gold and burnished tawny in the spectrum.’
- ‘It is a blend of old Buals, and as he stated in the book, ‘‘today it is considered in the trade a standard for fine old Bual’’.’
- ‘For many Madeira lovers, Buals offer the best combination of richness and elegance.’
- ‘Madeira Wine Co Tasting Category: Madeira - Bual - 28-34 YO Vintage: 1971 Award: Gold (Best in Class) Alcohol%: 0% Country - Region: Portugal - Madeira Judges’ Tasting Notes: Bright bronze with greenish tinge and yellowing edge.’
From Portuguese boal.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.