One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The study of mosses and liverworts.
- ‘I'm teaching bryology within the general botany classes and two specialized courses ‘Bryophyte biology’ and ‘Field course of bryology’.’
- ‘Leading bryologist W. B. Schofield gives a broad, international view of bryology that goes beyond a basic understanding of structure to present the bryophytes as a vital group of living plants.’
- ‘Bryologists from all countries are invited to publish original research from any field of bryology.’
- ‘When Steere began his work on mosses in the early 1930s, bryology was a field filled primarily with amateurs.’
- ‘The following references are key sources for entry into the primary scientific literature in the fields of bryology and lichenology.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek bruon ‘moss’ + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.