One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cream used on men's hair to give it a smooth, shiny appearance.
oil, ointment, lotion, creamView synonyms
- ‘He was horrified by the smoking, the alcohol consumed and the Brylcreem and the winkle-picker shoes they wore.’
- ‘He could cut a fair style when he got home from a fair, new suit and dancing shoes, white shirt and the hair well groomed with Brylcreem and cleaned up to the last like a new baby.’
- ‘Do you remember Brylcreem that men used to use for their hair?’
- ‘As I was making my way through the sea of sequins and Brylcreem, I got an eerie feeling that something bad was about to happen.’
- ‘There are also old issues of Reader's Digest which carried advertisements for cigarettes and Brylcreem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.