Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of sparkling wine) unsweetened; very dry.
- ‘Good bubblies are made in California, too, and the prices generally fall between the inexpensive Spanish cavas and the French nonvintage brut champagnes.’
- ‘Ayala produces a brut, demi-sec, rosé, vintage, blanc de blancs vintage and the prestige cuvee perle.’
- ‘She transformed the business into a major champagne house by identifying the market for a brut style of champagne, much less sweet than was the fashion.’
- ‘Aperitifs range from Rp 18,000 for a Martini to Rp 60,000 for a glass of champagne brut.’
- ‘Beyond that, Pinot Noir flavors were the key - in brut with turkey and in blanc de noirs with duck, pork, lamb, and beef.’
- ‘Although labelled extra brut (extra dry), it drinks more like a medium-dry.’
- ‘Best-known brands are the medium dry Carta Nevada, launched in 1951, and Cordon Negro, a brut Cava in a distinctive black bottle.’
- ‘But the beau Sire doesn't disappoint even the most cynical of palates - this violent fluid comes in both brut and demi-sec varieties.’
- ‘The bartender offered to let me try the second sparkler on the menu - the Domaine de la Fontainerie, brut, '01, Vouvray at $9.’
- ‘Fans of Pol Roger's delectable, creamy, pin-head bubbled, white-label brut champagne, with lots of ripe, floral fruit on the finish, are in for a treat this Easter with a fiver off their favourite fizz.’
- ‘The Cuvee Des Ambassadeurs, the wine of choice in the Elysee Palace, is a 50/50 Chardonnay and Pinot Noir champagne in a zesty and bright brut style.’
- ‘The result is a wine that's a little creamier than the nonvintage brut regular cuvée and has a bit longer ‘finish.’’
Late 19th century: French, literally raw, rough.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.