One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘On my first return the doctor was late again, but the receptionist brusquely ordered me to go to the x-ray department for a ‘control picture’.’
- ‘I grab the letter from her hand, a little more brusquely than necessary.’
- ‘Questions about his place in history were turned away, sometimes deftly, sometimes brusquely, at an otherwise tedious luncheon at the official Writers' Club.’
- ‘I therefore reply, briefly and brusquely, that I am not interested, and ring off.’
- ‘At the beginning of the show, the dancers approached the audience with tape recorders and brusquely asked us to give our names.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.