One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pitch aimed close to the body so that the batter must step back to avoid it.
- ‘I think the players should be allowed to take care of the brushback pitch instead of the umpires.’
- ‘One of Adcock's more memorable eruptions after a brushback pitch was to chase a terrified pitcher Ruben Gomez of the San Francisco Giants off the field.’
- ‘The armor has removed much of the fear factor that made the brushback pitch an effective weapon.’
- ‘In baseball, players used to legislate brushback pitches and there was a code of conduct.’
- ‘The Yanks reacted with brushbacks or unhittable slop.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.