Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A late morning meal eaten instead of breakfast and lunch.
- ‘Under the plan, breakfast and lunch will be cancelled, replaced with a mid-morning brunch instead.’
- ‘As is often the case, I made them in the morning for breakfast / brunch.’
- ‘Then we're off to Xmas brunch, lunch and dinner with some of my favourite cousins, one of whom is back from London.’
- ‘Located bang on the waterfront, it's a restaurant in the day serving up hearty breakfasts, brunches, lunches and dinners.’
- ‘Pattie Boyd had dropped by the Lennon home, for an early brunch with Cynthia that morning.’
- ‘The place has fantastic restaurants for brunch, lunch and dinner.’
- ‘Despite the presence of the butchers block in the middle of the kitchen and despite having a dining room with better and bigger furniture the couple preferred to have leisurely breakfasts, or brunches as in this case, in the kitchen.’
- ‘There is a buffet brunch at Pacific Pier, where people can sit on the viewing gallery to watch the sea lions and feed them with fish the park prepares.’
- ‘The menu will be tailored to meet the needs of the people for a tasty meal, be it brunch, lunch, afternoon snack, or late supper.’
- ‘On Christmas morning she'll be at her daughter's, tucking into a brunch of eggs Benedict, bacon, sausages and waffles.’
- ‘There are less formal meals, picnics and barbecues and the forthcoming brunch is one of these occasions.’
- ‘Volunteer to set up potluck brunches and dinners for the community.’
- ‘You'll be welcome to linger as long as you like over brunch, lunch or dinner and time in between.’
- ‘This wholesome family outing was enjoyed by all and afterwards everyone tucked into a delicious brunch.’
- ‘My final meal in Melbourne was a lovely brunch at the Comfortable Chair on Lygon Street.’
- ‘We send them candy and flowers and take them out for brunch, lunch or dinner.’
- ‘Restaurants are already booked for brunches and dinners.’
- ‘My wife and I miss the patio brunch, which was the only meal out we could do with our infant.’
- ‘In fine Whistler tradition, the beer flowed freely and as a result, this morning many of the brunch attendees looked the worse for wear.’
- ‘Executive Chef Kelly Macdonald and his crew of six use propane-fired gas ranges and electric appliances as they prepare all brunches, lunches and dinners for passengers aboard the railroad as it journeys through the Napa Valley.’
Late 19th century: blend of breakfast and lunch.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.