One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A late morning meal eaten instead of breakfast and lunch.
- ‘There are less formal meals, picnics and barbecues and the forthcoming brunch is one of these occasions.’
- ‘Located bang on the waterfront, it's a restaurant in the day serving up hearty breakfasts, brunches, lunches and dinners.’
- ‘Pattie Boyd had dropped by the Lennon home, for an early brunch with Cynthia that morning.’
- ‘Executive Chef Kelly Macdonald and his crew of six use propane-fired gas ranges and electric appliances as they prepare all brunches, lunches and dinners for passengers aboard the railroad as it journeys through the Napa Valley.’
- ‘The menu will be tailored to meet the needs of the people for a tasty meal, be it brunch, lunch, afternoon snack, or late supper.’
- ‘In fine Whistler tradition, the beer flowed freely and as a result, this morning many of the brunch attendees looked the worse for wear.’
- ‘There is a buffet brunch at Pacific Pier, where people can sit on the viewing gallery to watch the sea lions and feed them with fish the park prepares.’
- ‘On Christmas morning she'll be at her daughter's, tucking into a brunch of eggs Benedict, bacon, sausages and waffles.’
- ‘Restaurants are already booked for brunches and dinners.’
- ‘We send them candy and flowers and take them out for brunch, lunch or dinner.’
- ‘Under the plan, breakfast and lunch will be cancelled, replaced with a mid-morning brunch instead.’
- ‘You'll be welcome to linger as long as you like over brunch, lunch or dinner and time in between.’
- ‘The place has fantastic restaurants for brunch, lunch and dinner.’
- ‘My final meal in Melbourne was a lovely brunch at the Comfortable Chair on Lygon Street.’
- ‘This wholesome family outing was enjoyed by all and afterwards everyone tucked into a delicious brunch.’
- ‘As is often the case, I made them in the morning for breakfast / brunch.’
- ‘Despite the presence of the butchers block in the middle of the kitchen and despite having a dining room with better and bigger furniture the couple preferred to have leisurely breakfasts, or brunches as in this case, in the kitchen.’
- ‘My wife and I miss the patio brunch, which was the only meal out we could do with our infant.’
- ‘Then we're off to Xmas brunch, lunch and dinner with some of my favourite cousins, one of whom is back from London.’
- ‘Volunteer to set up potluck brunches and dinners for the community.’
Late 19th century: blend of breakfast and lunch.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.