A member of an early Nazi militia founded by Hitler in Munich in 1921, with brown uniforms resembling that of Mussolini's Blackshirts. They aided Hitler's rise to power, but were eclipsed by the SS after the “night of the long knives” in June 1934.
- ‘Adulation of power and force prevented Brownshirts from recognizing implications for their country of their reckless doctrines.’
- ‘Folks who don't like Nazis shouldn't act like Brownshirts.’
- ‘My contention being, whether they know it or not, these people are of the ‘similar ‘mindset as these, in fact, Brownshirts of old.’’
- ‘These are the techniques employed by Hitler's Brownshirts.’
- ‘The murder certainly offered Stalin a way out of a difficult situation, and he had the recent example of Hitler's killing of Brownshirt leaders to inspire him.’