Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A savory sauce made with fat and flour cooked to a brown color.
- ‘This made for loads of flavor, especially when dipped in the accompanying brown sauce, which was so heavy with garlic that I was still tasting it an hour later, even after having brushed my teeth.’
- ‘In a world of let-downs, one thing you can rely on to you pick you up - even if only for a minute or so - is the good old sausage barm with brown sauce.’
- ‘Same goes for an entrée of Texas beef tips in what the catering menu calls ‘classic Hungarian brown sauce.’’
- ‘Hans smiled and said, ‘White wine, flamed with brandy, a little brown sauce and peppercorns and simmered for as long as possible.’’
- ‘Back home I stowed my shopping away, had a grossly over-indulgent lunch of sausage rolls and brown sauce, and took myself off for a long, long afternoon nap.’
- ‘The generous portion of shrimp was covered in a delicious spicy brown sauce and accompanied by a plain white bun.’
- ‘An inconsequential, sweetish brown sauce might have been saved by an exuberance of stir-fried basil leaves crowned by more leaves that had been deep-fried to a fragile crisp.’
- ‘Unfold a pancake, place the duck skin on it, add one piece of shallot and one piece of cucumber and spoon on the brown sauce, roll up the pancake and contents and eat.’
- ‘Try the sliced trotter in brown sauce or the sliced beef in brown sauce.’
- ‘Tender, tasty meat, cooked to our specifications and tinged with just the right amount of chargrill is bathing in a rich, brown sauce accented with sweet, soft shallots.’
- ‘Nothing much different from his ordinary dinners - pork braised in brown sauce, which was his favourite, and a fish, for it represents good fortune in the new year.’
- ‘It was a ubiquitous two-inch slice of fillet in a heavy, buttery brown sauce with pearl barley in it, described as ‘truffled oxtail barley risotto’.’
- ‘It was a plate of Icelandic lobster tails and lamb served with a tomato/zucchini salsa, roasted potatoes and some brown sauce.’
- ‘The wine's rich flavor will work beautifully with hearty dishes like pasta with meat sauce and rack of lamb with a brown sauce.’
- ‘It was topped with mushrooms in a light, slightly tangy brown sauce.’
- ‘Every week, he made a new version of meat, beans, vegetables, and potatoes that bubbled in an earthy brown sauce.’
- ‘The moist duck is an ideal platform from which to show off the unusually tasty brown sauce.’
- ‘Just try passing up the shrimp with honey-glazed walnuts or ‘his flash-fried, crisp-edged filet mignon in spicy brown sauce.’’
- ‘Beef with fresh hot pepper deploys jalapeños in a brown sauce with just a tinge of sweetness.’
- ‘The emphasis is on home-made dishes: corned beef hash with Tracy's own brown sauce; sandwiches with turkey and ham cooked on the premises; soup and freshly-baked bread; quiche and more.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.