One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brown venomous North American spider, identifiable by the dark brown violin-shaped marking on the top of its orange-yellow head.
- ‘The brown recluse spider, Loxosceles reclusa, often gets a particularly bad rap.’
- ‘Other Loxosceles spiders exist in the southwest, although most ulcerating spider bites are caused by the brown recluse.’
- ‘Despite their negative reputation, brown recluse spiders get blamed for crimes they did not commit, says an arachnologist who is doing his best to set the record straight.’
- ‘The spider was a brown recluse, I think, which is very poisonous.’
- ‘If the bite is known to be from a brown recluse or black widow, or if signs of infection develop, seek medical attention.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.