One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white European moth that has a brown tip on the abdomen and is a pest of tree foliage in several areas, including North America. The caterpillars live communally in web tents and bear irritant hairs that can produce an allergic reaction.
- ‘Gypsy moth caterpillars defoliate trees, bitter-sweet vines strangle native trees, and brown-tail moths pose threats both to trees and human health.’
- ‘These caterpillars of the brown-tail moth are noted for their poisonous hairs, which can cause a rash on contact with skin.’
- ‘The brown-tail moth is so-called because of its thick dark brown tail tuft of hairs, which is very noticeable on the female.’
- ‘The tachinid fly Compsilura concinnata is a parasitoid of gypsy moth and other imported pests, such as satin moth and brown-tail moth.’
- ‘Scientists hope the virus can kill at least 80 percent of the brown-tail moth population in the state.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.