Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Feelings of humanity and compassion toward one's fellow humans.
- ‘They worked the farm together for years in brotherly love.’
- ‘For all its brotherly love, this is not a chummy tale.’
- ‘And yes, I thank you for your kindness and your genuine gesture of brotherly love.’
- ‘The ending is well done, if not totally unexpected, and is heavy of nostalgia and brotherly love.’
- ‘Brotherly love comes at a price, it seems.’
- ‘A Roman story makes them out to be mortals whom Zeus lofted into the heavens in recognition of their brotherly love.’
- ‘He goes on to point out that under repentance he includes brotherly love.’
- ‘Brotherly love never willingly leaves one to perish in his ignorance, errors or vices.’
- ‘Sensing the lack of brotherly love, Harpring decided to see who else was interested.’
- ‘In New York, a city not known for brotherly love, neighbours are helping neighbours.’
- ‘We will be together in the historic city of Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love.’
- ‘His method was the method of peaceful persuasion, to be preached in a spirit of brotherly love.’
- ‘Put the emphasis on offering brotherly love rather than advice.’
- ‘Instead, this brief but ugly lapse of brotherly love is getting harsh national attention.’
- ‘Behind this is no ordinary story of brotherly love.’
- ‘Christians have occasionally suggested that all of society should run on an ethic of brotherly love.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the brotherly love took all of a year to fizzle out.’
- ‘That could have been the subtitle of this ode to heroism and brotherly love.’
- ‘Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love.’
- ‘It was brotherly love, he insisted.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.