One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Feelings of humanity and compassion toward one's fellow humans.
- ‘We will be together in the historic city of Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love.’
- ‘Sensing the lack of brotherly love, Harpring decided to see who else was interested.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the brotherly love took all of a year to fizzle out.’
- ‘His method was the method of peaceful persuasion, to be preached in a spirit of brotherly love.’
- ‘And yes, I thank you for your kindness and your genuine gesture of brotherly love.’
- ‘Brotherly love comes at a price, it seems.’
- ‘It was brotherly love, he insisted.’
- ‘They worked the farm together for years in brotherly love.’
- ‘A Roman story makes them out to be mortals whom Zeus lofted into the heavens in recognition of their brotherly love.’
- ‘For all its brotherly love, this is not a chummy tale.’
- ‘In New York, a city not known for brotherly love, neighbours are helping neighbours.’
- ‘Instead, this brief but ugly lapse of brotherly love is getting harsh national attention.’
- ‘Put the emphasis on offering brotherly love rather than advice.’
- ‘Christians have occasionally suggested that all of society should run on an ethic of brotherly love.’
- ‘He goes on to point out that under repentance he includes brotherly love.’
- ‘Behind this is no ordinary story of brotherly love.’
- ‘Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love.’
- ‘Brotherly love never willingly leaves one to perish in his ignorance, errors or vices.’
- ‘That could have been the subtitle of this ode to heroism and brotherly love.’
- ‘The ending is well done, if not totally unexpected, and is heavy of nostalgia and brotherly love.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.