Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cosmetic liquid or powder applied to the skin to give it color or shine, typically to give the appearance of a suntan.
- ‘You no longer have to wear those ridiculous uniforms, the green hair dye, nor the skin bronzer.’
- ‘While self-tanners can give your skin a sun-kissed look, bronzers offer an instant alternative with no long-term commitment, says Julie Hewett, a Los Angeles-based celebrity makeup artist.’
- ‘After evening out my skin tone with foundation and powder, Veronica dusted on a light bronzer for color and a soft pink blush to give my cheeks a rosy glow.’
- ‘Natalie Miller, a Los Angeles makeup artist, also suggests using gel bronzers since they're lightweight and absorb quickly.’
- ‘So, just about every issue of Seventeen and YM advertise the hair dye, the make-up, the bronzer, and even the clothing.’
- ‘When it comes to beauty, sometimes it's the little things you do that make all the difference: swiping on a bright lipstick, dusting on bronzer to give your skin a glow and, on hair, adding a touch of unexpected brightness.’
- ‘I've got it down to under three minutes; this includes putting on eyeshadow and eye liner, curling my lashes, applying mascara, using a lash comb, applying concealer, powder, a bronzer, blush, lip liner, and lip gloss.’
- ‘Fine says using them requires a bit more makeup savvy than using bronzers, because highlighters require precise blending.’
- ‘If you want the golden glow of a tan without exposure to damaging UV light, consider using sunless tanning products or bronzers.’
- ‘Powdered bronzer, applied lightly all over the face, can also help camouflage over-indulgences, says New York City-based makeup artist Maria Verel.’
- ‘Now, I've researched the best and most affordable self-tanners and bronzers that not only make you look great but also are not harmful to your health and can make you look just as natural as the sun would.’
- ‘To avoid the monochromatic look that can result from using bronzers, use a bit of colour on the cheek for a natural sun-kissed look.’
- ‘Lotions are the easiest to use but take about 30 minutes to dry, and, to prevent mistakes, products with instant bronzers help highlight where you did, or didn't, apply.’
- ‘Opt instead to put a fresh face forward by smoothing on a bronzer, tinted moisturizer or light-diffusing product that's lightweight, yet will still even out your skin tone.’
- ‘They get it in an instant with the right bronzers and blushes.’
- ‘Buying my bronzer in the chemists yesterday lunchtime, the sweet little old lady at the till smiled at me and said: ‘Ooh, going anywhere nice?’’
- ‘And don't overdo pressed or loose powders over a bronzer.’
- ‘For faster results, consider using a bronzer.’
- ‘OK, since I'm not a fan of the tanned look, I'll definitely not be buying the bronzer, but I'm interested in the eye shadow.’
- ‘Make sure you get a bronzer that is on the yellow/gold side, other than the pink tinted ones, which are meant more for pale skin girls (unless your face is usually on the redder side then I suggest getting the pink toned one).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.