Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the major air passages of the lungs which diverge from the windpipe.
- ‘An air leak was later noted between the bronchus and the lung abscess so the abscess catheter was placed to a water seal in a Pleurovac.’
- ‘During the six years of follow-up, 2,622 men and 1,406 women died from cancers of the lung, bronchus, or trachea.’
- ‘The right lung was then carefully liberated from major bronchi and vessels, homogenized, and stored for analysis of hydroxyproline content.’
- ‘Cancer can occur in the lining of these bronchi or in the lung tissue itself.’
- ‘The tumor frequently extended to the adjacent lung parenchyma, bronchi, visceral pleura, and mediastinal soft tissues.’
- ‘When you inhale, air is carried through the windpipe to your lungs in two major airways called bronchi.’
- ‘Augmentations in lung volume help constricted bronchi remain open, thereby attenuating the lumenal reductions.’
- ‘Bacterial complications are: Infections of nose and pharynx, sinuses, infections of the bronchi, the lungs and the middle ear.’
- ‘Baseline measurements were attempted in the trachea, main bronchus, and lobar and segmentai bronchi, avoiding areas covered in mucus and sites of bleeding or previous lavage.’
- ‘This network of alveoli, bronchioles, and bronchi is known as the bronchial tree.’
- ‘They are heard when there is consolidation of lung tissue with bronchi that open into the consolidation, such as occurs in pneumonia.’
- ‘Minor salivary glands of mucinous type are also located in the nose, paranasal sinuses, the larynx, trachea and bronchi.’
- ‘The bronchial courses caudally, beneath the arch of the azygos vein, to the right bronchus, where it follows the posterosuperior border of the bronchus to enter the lung.’
- ‘With respect to the lungs, formalin was infused through the trachea or mainstem bronchi until the lungs were normally expanded.’
- ‘Virtual endoscopy has been used to evaluate the colon, bronchi, stomach, blood vessels, bladder, kidney, larynx, and paranasal sinuses.’
- ‘Emmprin has been found immunohistochemically in ciliated cells of normal bronchi and bronchi affected by squamous cell carcinoma.’
- ‘The airways (trachea, bronchi, bronchioles) are surrounded by a type of involuntary muscle known as smooth muscle.’
- ‘The isolated lung tissues were divided into two portions: the trachea and main bronchus and the lungs.’
- ‘The outcome measure was death from cancer of the trachea, bronchus, or lung as the underlying cause, coded from the death certificate.’
- ‘After the experiments finished, the lungs, including trachea and bronchi, were dissected out and weighed.’
Late 17th century: from late Latin, from Greek bronkhos ‘windpipe’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.