One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the minute branches into which a bronchus divides.
- ‘Not to be confused with bronchitis, bronchiolitis (pronounced: brahn-kee-oh-lie-tus) is an inflammation of the bronchioles, the smallest branches of the bronchial tree.’
- ‘The BO was manifested as branching tongues of myxoid fibrous tissue in respiratory bronchioles and alveolar ducts.’
- ‘Isoprenaline exerts its effects by relaxing the smooth muscle tissues lining the finely branched tubular network of bronchioles that surround the lungs.’
- ‘In addition, diagnostically important small structures, such as interlobular septa and distal arterioles and bronchioles, are not visualized.’
- ‘The bronchi and bronchioles did not show epithelial changes, and the pulmonary arteries and arterioles were normal in appearance.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin bronchiolus, bronchiolum, diminutives of late Latin bronchia, denoting the branches of the main bronchi.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.